This is the most concise and helpful article on smartphone business ideas you have ever seen online – and you’ll find out why in a moment.
Have you ever asked yourself the question; “is it possible to start a business using my smartphone?” or “what business can I start with my phone?” If yes, then this article is going to be the best piece of content you have read on how to run a business from your smartphone so pay attention.
Ready? Let’s go!
Advancement in technology has made it possible for people all over the world to connect with one another with so much ease. Someone in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa or anywhere else for that matter can now easily communicate in real time with someone in Australia using a smartphone – for business or social reasons.
And while it is wonderful to be able to get connected to people with ease, individuals are now beginning to ask two important questions…
Question 1. “Is it possible to run a business with your smartphone?”
Yes! Yes! Yes!
It’s not only possible but several people are already making money from businesses they started and run using a smartphone.
And why is this so?
Business is essentially about solving problems for people in return for a reward (profit).
Since the smartphone is a device primarily designed to enable the easy transfer of information between people, it allows you to easily gather data on what different people need and help you communicate the solution to it. (You’ll discover a number of smartphone business ideas in a moment, just read on).
The second question that begs for an answer is…
Question 2. “What business can I start with a smartphone?”
In an earlier attempt to answer this question, I wrote a quick article where I shared 7 business ideas you can start with your smartphone. That article has grown to become one of the most popular pieces of content on this blog serving as a pointer that many people are asking questions on the subject…
I decided to write a more detailed piece of content on businesses you can start and run on your phone as there are more people who own a smartphone now who would really benefit from starting their own business or even just learning how to make some extra cash on the side.
A few of the smartphone business ideas, in this article have already been mentioned in my earlier article on the subject so I’ll basically be expanding on them while a few others will be completely fresh ideas that I’ve recently stumbled upon, tried out, used or analyzed to see how it can work (I get more ideas than I can execute so this is never a problem).
3 Keys to Note Before You Run a Business on Your Smartphone
One more thing… before I delve into sharing these smartphone business ideas with you, here are a few key points I want you to bear in bear in mind… they’ll help you succeed faster as you decide on what idea to work on.
1. Stop looking for a guarantee… there’s none!
I used to waste a lot of time… (and I mean looooots of time) trying to figure out whether an idea would work or not.
Unfortunately, only one of two things seemed always guaranteed to happen… I’d either loose enthusiasm for the idea and move onto something else or I’d have wasted so much time analyzing the idea trying to figure out if it will really work or not that when I was ready (or felt like I was), I’d have missed the timing.
I see a lot of people wasting time asking questions that wouldn’t help them in any way… “how much do you make?”, “how long does it take to get a client?” and all that sort of questions…
DON’T DO IT!
It’s a total waste of time. Many times, it’s just a manifestation of fear – the fear of failure. You don’t want to fail so you’re trying to get a sort of guarantee before you step out.
Know this… Success in any business is a combination of a lot of factors – determination, focus, persistence, skills, and a million other little things. You might already have them – or not! You don’t know until you put in the work.
Another closely related thing you need to bear in mind is…
2. Beware of Analysis Paralysis.
Don’t spend so much time analyzing an idea that you’re interested in all because you’re afraid to fail or make mistakes. Understand that mistakes are a part of the learning process… your job is to minimize them as much as you can.
I’ve heard that money loves speed.
The speed of implementation. Take an idea, quickly execute and if it turns out to be too different from what you had anticipated and you’d rather not continue, dump it and move on quickly.
Someone I hold in high esteem once told me “successful people are willing to fail more times than most people are willing to try”.
While it is true that over analysis often leads to paralysis, does that in any way mean you should not take time to carefully analyze a business idea before you plunge in?
Not at all!
But know this, no matter how much time you spend analyzing an idea, you can never going to take away the place of learning on the job neither does the time spent on analyzing an idea guarantee that you will be successful.
Instead of stalling, get a basic understanding of what you need to do and take action while staying committed to continuous learning.
If in the process of implementation, you hit a roadblock, seek help and if you find that this isn’t what you thought it was and you would rather do something else, then you can move on… at least you now know one thing you don’t want to be doing.
And that leads us to the next point…
3. Ideas by themselves are worth very little… action decides who wins!
Ideas really don’t mean much and never amount to much without the investment of resources to bring them to fruition.
So while I’m excited to be sharing these business ideas you can use to make money from home using your smartphone, I am very much aware that only a small fraction of people who read information actually act on it… and action is what produces results.
So even if you spend all the time analyzing and coming up with winning ideas or refining the ideas in this article, unless you actually take action, you won’t see any result.
Take away every distraction, carefully take notes when something resonates with you, ask questions in the comment section if you’re unsure about anything and take massive action when you’re done. There’s no other way.
So what are some smartphone business ideas that you can run from home?
1. Intra-City Delivery Business –
Now more than ever, people are busy. However, the responsibilities never fail to pile up. One business you can start using only your smartphone is an intra-city delivery service.
Many people in urban areas would be glad to pay for a delivery service that will save them the stress of having to spend those few extra hours on the road instead of with their families or resting.
To start this business using your smartphone, here are a few steps to follow;
- Choose a Name for Your Logistics Company
- Create a Facebook and Instagram page for your business
- Install Canva on Your Phone (Available for iOS and Android) and design a simple logo and cover image.
- Come up with a price list, a simple document which contains the different locations within the city and how much you charge to make delivery in those areas.
- Aggressively promote your business.This is very important because unless you are getting customers, you are not in business.
Use all your social media channels, Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp to promote your new business.
I recommend you post twice a day in the beginning.
- Deliver on all orders excellently – now that you have your business set to provide value, take every order seriously. Take care of your customers. Be on time. Keep your word.
- Ask your customers for testimonials about your service.If you have taken proper care of your customers – answered all their questions, delivered their service on time, and taken care of any dissatisfaction that might have ensued in the course of delivering the service to them, it will be easy to get them to give you a positive feedback.
So if you’re on the lookout for a smartphone business idea you can get started in right away, I strongly recommend you explore this option.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Another business idea you can start with your mobile phone in Nigeria is affiliate marketing. This business model is only recently gaining popularity even though it has been in existence for a long time.
How does it work?
You advertise another person’s product and earn a commission on every sale you bring in. You can either arrange your commission structure with the seller or sign up on affiliate sites to be able to promote products.
Here’s how to start an affiliate marketing business using your smartphone –
- Sign up on affiliate websites or negotiate with someone to promote their products (jumia.com.ng has a good affiliate program you can join)
- Take pictures or save the images of products you want to promote.
- Advertise these products to your contacts on all your social media handles and anytime someone buys through you, you’ll get a commission from the sale.
- One way to see more results faster is to pay to promote your posts on social media.
One reason why I love this smartphone business idea is that it’s so easy you can get started on the same day and make money within 24 hours.
3. Mobile Banner Design Services –
Another business you can quickly start on your smartphone is mobile banner design services. This is especially good for you if you already have a background in graphics design or it’s a subject that interests you.
Many people out there have businesses they’ll like to promote and one way to promote your business is to use your social media presence – WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, and others.
One of the key ways to advertise on these platforms and get the attention of people is to use eye-catching images and that is where you come in.
There are several apps you can install on your phone that will enable you to design eye-catching images on the fly.
Here a few of them –
Check them out and make some test designs for yourself.
How do you get customers using your smartphone?
- Make a list of all the people you see trying to advertise on the social media platforms you use.
- Offer to do a simple design for them for free.Everybody likes free so you would get a high percentage of people to try out your service. The strategy here is to give them a design for an aspect of their business or a product that they sell.
- Offer them a discount on your premium design services.Once you are done with the design, follow up with a simple message stating that you can also make another design for them so that they have a couple of designs to use. Then state your discount.
Here’s an example;
“Hi, I’m glad you like the profile picture banner. I can also design a really captivating cover photo for you if you’d like one and I’d do this for only half the original price. What do you say?”
It’s really that simple.
Don’t complicate it, starting a business using your smartphone doesn’t have to be that hard. Just take action.
4. Become a subject matter expert –
Is there a subject you are interested in helping people out on? An area where you are constantly giving advice to other people on.
Whether it is on relationship, parenting, weight loss, healthy dieting, or even traveling. You can make money from the comfort of your home using your smartphone helping other people out in that area.
How much do you need to know to become a subject matter expert?
A little more than the person you are helping out.
You don’t need a degree or any of that fancy stuff. You just need to be able to help people get the results they are looking for.
How do you get started in this business using your smartphone?
- Decide on an area you want to become a subject matter on.
- Create social media pages for your business.
- Create a weekly content calendar to help you prepare your content in advance.
- Consistently create valuable content in the area you have chosen.
- Consistently promote your content on these platforms.
- Offer paid products, courses, live training programs for your audience.
6. Motivational Speaking Business –
Are you skilled in encouraging and getting people to take action? You can become a motivational speaker and turn this into business using your smartphone.
- Create a platform to consistently share your content online where people can find you. It can be a blog or a social media page, it doesn’t matter as long as you can be found.
- Be committed to sharing valuable content – in this case motivating content. Choose a form of content that you’re comfortable with – whether it is text, audio or video.And it doesn’t even have to be your content. You can share other people’s content as long as you give due credit to the creators.
- Give your audience an opportunity to give you money.If it doesn’t make money it’s not a business, it’s a charity. One essential part of a business is that it makes or at least has a clear-cut system to make money.
So how do you make money as a motivational speaker?
– Write books.
– Organize seminars.
– Paid speaking gigs.
– Ask for donations.
These are just three ways you can start making money from the motivational speaking business you started with your smartphone. Explore it if it suits you.
7. Start a YouTube Channel
Another smartphone business idea you can explore if you have a smartphone with a fairly good camera is to start a YouTube channel.
YouTube has a mobile app that makes it easy for you to upload and manage your videos on their platform.
As you post videos consistently with your phone and build a following on this platform, you can opt to join their revenue sharing platform and make money from the Advertising placed on your channel.
This is one business you can run from your smartphone if you really up for it.
8. Social Media Management
Using social media management has recently started to gain popularity in this part of the world as more and more businesses are beginning to adopt the use of social media to connect with their customers. This makes social media management a good smartphone business idea you can start immediately.
As a social media manager, your role involves creating content for the social media pages of the business you are working with and responding to the comments and inquiries from followers.
You will need to install the various social media apps on your phone to make this process easier for you.
If you do this right, this smartphone business idea can easily grow into a full-blown digital media agency.
9. Network Marketing
While I have personally never been involved in a network marketing business, I have seen people who run their network marketing business using their smartphone.
You simply choose a network marketing company of your choice, preferably one with products you’re comfortable selling.
Begin adding contacts who are most likely to be interested in your products and consistently sell to them.
I hope you have enjoyed this article containing 9 Profitable Businesses You Can Run From Your Smartphone in Nigeria? Don’t be overwhelmed. Pick one that resonates well with you and get to work.
In the coming days, I will write about businesses that can be run from home with a laptop right here in Nigeria. Watch out for it.